Sunday, October 21, 2012

One of the 52 Things

While waiting in the airport for my return flight last weekend, I stumbled upon a book titled 52 Things Kids Need from a Mom. Not being one who usually picks up books like these, curiosity got the best of me, and I took a peek anyway.

On the list were familiar things you would expect like "give lots of love and cuddles"and "indulge their silly." But one thing stood out among these tidbits of advice and that was, "keep a family blog." The author explained that it's a great for kids to read and follow as they grow up, but it also provides a family history they can "log into" and read as adults too.

When I first started this blog, it was intended as a means of keeping family and friends involved with what we were doing, where we were going.  It never occurred to me that it would be something E and our future kids would enjoy reading too.  I guess it was silly of me not to think of something so obvious, but it definitely puts blogging in a new light.  I want my kids to look back and be proud of the things we did as a family and happy remembering all our experiences.  I want them to be able to look at pictures of our adventures and read a story that goes with it.

I can't even begin to count the number times my parents and I have questioned certain family events as we rummaged through old photo albums from when my siblings and I were younger.  The photos get mixed up, the memories fade and we lose track of what we lived through, where we were, and what the mood was like in that moment.

I hope this blog helps me avoid that with my own family.  Because now I realize this blog is meant to be more than something for others to follow.  This is more than just a Foreign Service blog.  Ultimately, this is a family blog and exists for my own family to read and follow as well.  It will be there to help recall the best (and worst) parts of their lives. 

Consider at least one thing on that list checked. Although, E is definitely not lacking in the cuddle department, nor is he in need of a parent to indulge his silly!

1 comment:

  1. I keep another "mommy" blog in addition to my FS blog. I love that I can look back and laugh at all the memories, and that our son will be able to do it some day too. I never print out pictures anymore, so my blog is also a great photo album. Some day I'll probably print it out to give to him. :)

    ReplyDelete