Wednesday, November 28, 2012

No More Work, But Still Busy!

Exactly one week ago today marked my last foray into the world of full-time employment.  I had been with my company for two years, and when S got the call to join the Foreign Service, my employer was very accommodating in allowing me to relocate to the D.C. office.  Seeing as our time here is now winding down, I wrapped up my casework last week.  I tied up all my loose ends with both the D.C. and New York office, turned over my keys and bid my farewells. 
 
But that doesn't mean I won't be working when we get to Turkey.  I will continue working remotely on more of an as-need/sub basis, which means some weeks or months might be hectic and busy, while others might be slow as molasses.  Also, being that things can be unpredictable when relying on just one company for work, I'm making connections with other companies who hire on an as-need basis.  Because you know what they say about eggs and baskets and not putting them all in one place...
 
So what exactly have I been doing since last Wednesday?  Well, Thanksgiving preparation and celebration aside, I am happy to report that there is plenty keeping me busy. 
 
First of all, there is still a kid that needs to be dressed and fed every morning.  But thankfully, since he is still in daycare for a few more weeks, my days aren't consumed with actually taking care of him.  Not that I wouldn't relish the idea of being with my little nugget all day, but having  "grown-up" free time definitely has its advantages. And by that I mean I can actually conquer my ever-expanding to-do list, which, and I don't know if this happens to everyone else, seems to grow as soon as I check things off. One task done, two more take its place.  Like dark magic.
 
So far I have scheduled a vet visit for the cat, made doctor, dentist and eye appointments for myself, taken a trip to the med-unit for the mandatory vaccines and made necessary Craigslist purchases for our upcoming move.  We've gotten our diplomatic passports, I purchased a new laptop (my old one belonged to my employer) and as a way to relieve stress, I've hit the gym. Hard.
 
I also started Christmas shopping on Monday, and I have already knocked five people off the list.  It's not even December, people!  I'm way ahead of the game.
 
Speaking of Christmas, I am also in the process of completing an obscene amount of photo projects for various members of my family, which means I have spent an almost criminal amount of time in front of the computer screen editing, copying and pasting photos into what I hope will be delightful surprises for everyone.  That combined with the blanket I recently decided to crochet for my sister-in-law's new baby, well, I'm definitely finding ways to fill my time!
 
I still have a few movies that I would like to squeeze in too.  Because you know what they say about all work and no play! Here's to hoping I can actually make that happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment