Monday, February 11, 2013

Road Trip: Kozan Kalesi

We took our first road trip yesterday to see a castle (kalesi) in a town about an hour drive north of Adana called Kozan.  A few of S's colleagues and their families got together for the excursion, and we all caravaned up together. 
 
Kozan Kalesi was built by the Assyrians in the 7th century and later captured by the Abbasids in the 9th century, the Seljuks in the 11th century, and later by the Armenians circa 1137. Or, according to what historical reference you read, the Seljuks never controlled it at all, as the Armenians took direct control from the Abbasids.  Either way, the Armenians maintained control of the area and the castle (formerly called Sis) for hundreds of years.  The castle site and surrounding town also held religious significance for Christians because a celebration to produce baptism oil held every three years.
 
The drive up to Kozan was beautiful.  Rolling hills turned to mountains and cities turned to towns, then small villages, and eventually farms.  The differences in the people of Adana to their more rural counterparts were visible as we drove further from the city.  Women wore more conservative attire, covering their heads, while the men took on a more rural, agrarian look.  Goats were being herded down the road by men talking on cell phones (which I found quite amusing), and I think we may have passed more tractors than cars. 
 
By the time we got to Kozan, the landscape had changed back into a more urban one, and we made our way up the mountain to where the castle stood in the center of town.  The drive up nearly gave me a heart attack as S made one hairpin turn after another.  Because guardrails didn't exist (of course not) each turn had us looking down the side of the mountain at the 500 foot drop that only grew in distance the further we drove.  At one point I turned to look back at E and the view out the window behind him sent the hair on the back of my neck on edge.  I'm not afraid of heights, but something about being in a car, going up a mountain without anything between you and the edge of the mountain really had me stressed out.
 
Needless to say we made it safely and we all piled out of the caravan to trek to the top.  I  stupidly forgot to bring E's backpack carrier, so we were forced to carry him up the mountain in our arms, which was a bit inhibiting, but still fun.  And of course, when I say "we" I mean S.  I was carrying the camera and backpack because I didn't trust myself to carry our son up a ragged, uneven rocky surface.  I am the person who trips going up stairs and breaks her toe by walking into a wall.  So S was on E duty for the most part.
 
Once we made our way to the top, the views were spectacular.  Even E looked around and let out a awestruck, "wow." 
 
Looking down at the city of Kozan
 

Of course, being the klutz that I am, and being that S was carrying E in his arms, we weren't able to go all the way to the tippy-top like a few others did, but we did manage to get as high as we could. 


View of the ruins from below.

 
The view of Kozan Kalesi from my perch about 3/4 of the way up.


The brave souls in our group...all the way at the top

Photo borrowed from someone who went to the top.

Another brave soul.

 
 
Once the hike was complete, we made our way back to the bottom where we had all planned to meet up for tea.  On the way down I saw these two women coming toward me dressed in all black.  S was in the lead and I watched him step to the side of the path to let them come up.  As I moved to step aside as well, one of them pointed at my camera and motioned for me to take their picture. Well, they were also holding a small, disposable camera so I thought they wanted me to take a picture of them using their camera.  After a brief elementary Turkish exchange and a lot of hand motions later, I realized they wanted me to take a photo of them with my camera so they could see the results.  And I have to say, the photo I got was stunning.  These women were so kind and beautiful and I'm happy they let me take their photo.  I only wish I could have given it to them. 



You can see the smiles in their eyes.

Once tea was over we made our way home.  E promptly fell asleep in the car and S and I began searching the Turkey guidebook for our next trip.  I predict a lot of day trips like this one in our future. 

3 comments:

  1. Such a lovely day as well - the sky is amazing in your shots. I am jealous that you have been able to get out -- the weather looks lovely - NO WINTER COATS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it has been very warm/mild here. Nothing more than a light jacket on most days. We love it! Stay warm up there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos. My boyfriend is in Kozan right now and he can see the mountain from his hotel window. It's such a nice landmark in the middle of the town. The view from the top is spectacular indeed!

    Jenny
    www.stuff-i-love.com

    ReplyDelete